What you will need:
Root Access on your Phone:
Mobileuncle MTK Tools:
Root Explorer (File Manager):
GPS Test (not required but helps):
THIS SHOULD BE DONE OUTDOORS
1. Turn GPS off on your phone.
2. Open Root Explorer and find the mtkgps.dat file in /data or /data/misc
3 Delete mtkgps.dat
4. Reboot phone
5 Open Mobileuncle Tools
6. Tap on 'Engineer Mode'
7 Tap on 'Engineer Mode (MTK)'
8. Scroll across to 'Location'
9 Tap on 'Location Based Service'
10. Tap on 'AGPS' and then make sure 'A-GPS On/Off' is checked
11 Tap on 'EPO' and then make sure 'Enable EPO' is checked
12 Swipe down (notification bar) and turn GPS on
13 Hit back and then tap 'YGPS'
14. Wait until you get position lock (mine took about 6 seconds)
15. This process should create a new mtkgps.dat file
16. Hit home button and open GPS Test.
17. You should get a position lock reasonably quickly
Even though you have enabled A-GPS and EPO you can now turn them off (although any subsequent position lock should be quicker if these are enabled)
I have managed to get a position lock on Google Maps with network data and WiFi turned off I've also managed to get Sygic GPS to work with network data and WiFi turned off Position lock took about 20s in both cases
The above is a variant of the instructions given in this video:
I now have a MTK6589 phone with a very good GPS
The main issue appears to be the initial mtkgps.dat file